1. Make sure you pack binoculars and a great camera. The landscape is unlike anything else – a good camera will capture those stunning shots and zoom in on the spectacular wildlife. On this trip, I was very lucky to see whales, dolphins, brown bears, bald eagles and sea otters!
2. The food aboard Celebrity Eclipse was wonderful. Make sure you book into the specialty restaurants. Le Petit Chef with 3D table animation and a menu created by their Michelin Star Chef, is a feast for your eyes AND stomach!
3. With all the fabulous food, take the stairs whenever you can and check out the gym. Celebrity Eclipse has a wonderful gym – lots of equipment and with floor to ceiling windows, you can run, row and cycle as whales go jumping past!
4. There are so many fantastic shore excursions to choose from. My favourite being a helicopter tour up onto a glacier to a husky dog sled camp. Such an unforgettable experience, that I will treasure forever.
5. Consider Alaska for the whole family. It’s not just a bucket list item to tick off in retirement. I urge you to go and experience Alaska now… plus add a few days in Vancouver either side too! My top picks in Vancouver include: historic Gastown for dining and shopping, the Capilano Suspension Bridge for its views and scenery, Granville Island Markets and Stanley Park.